Healthcare in Sweden for asylum-seekers, people with no papers and people in hiding
Vård i Sverige om du är asylsökande, gömd eller tillståndslös – engelska

Skriv ut (ca 5 sidor)

If you are an adult seeking asylum or you are in hiding or have no papers, you will be offered emergency medical care and dental care in Sweden if you need it. If you are under 18 years of age, you will be offered health and medical care on the same terms as all other children living in the county council area where you are seeking treatment.

Skriv ut

How do I get treatment?

How do I get treatment?

If you become ill you can visit a health centre or outpatient specialist clinic, for example an eye clinic, in any county council area or region in Sweden. You will then see either a nurse or a doctor and can tell them what the problem is.

Sometimes you may need a referral to visit an outpatient specialist clinic. A referral is a note that the doctor you have seen sends to another clinic. The referral explains, for example, how you are feeling and whether you have been ill before. The clinic that receives the referral will ask you to come in for an appointment.

You do not need a referral to get treatment at a health centre.

If you require immediate treatment, you can also go to an emergency department at a hospital. You do not need a referral to go to an emergency department.

The hospital staff will decide whether or not you need emergency care and treatment.

Stockholms län

The healthcare centres in your county council/region: 

Vårdcentraler och husläkarmottagningar

Råd på andra språk

Klockan 8:0022:00 kan du även få råd på arabiska och somaliska och klockan 8:0012:00 på finska.

The Stockholm County Council has signed agreements with six health centres that provide checkups and counselling for people who are seeking asylum, in hiding or undocumented. Click or tap on the name of the centre to see its contact details and hours (in Swedish)

Ask for advice

Dial 1177 to obtain advice by phone. You can also log in and ask online – you will receive an answer within an hour. 

To obtain advice through an Arabic interpreter, dial 0771-1177 90. To obtain advice through a Somali interpreter, dial 0771-1177 91.

Fäll ihop

LMA cards

LMA cards

Any time you receive health care you must provide your name, date of birth and a telephone number. You must also show your LMA card or the receipt you were given when you made your asylum application, if you have one.

The LMA card is issued by the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) when you apply for asylum. LMA is short for ‘Lagen om mottagande av asylsökande’ (Swedish Reception of Asylum Seekers’ Act), and the card is a temporary ID document that is valid during your asylum application process. If you have not yet received your LMA card, you must show the receipt confirming that you have applied for asylum.

The first time that you receive health care you will be given a reserve number. Keep this number safe. You will need it whenever you require treatment. If you have been given a reserve number before but have forgotten it, give your name and date of birth again.

Fäll ihop

How much does treatment cost for an adult?

How much does treatment cost for an adult?

The age from which you pay for health and dental care varies between the different county councils and regions, but you only start paying when you turn 18.

The following health care fees then apply:

  • Appointments with a doctor at a health centre cost a maximum of SEK 50.
  • Medical care provided following a referral costs a maximum of SEK 50.
  • Appointments with a referral to a caregiver other than a doctor cost a maximum of SEK 25. This may be an appointment with, for example, a counsellor, a nurse or a physiotherapist.
  • Hospital care is free of charge.
  • Prescription medicines cost a maximum of SEK 50.
  • You will have to pay the full price for medication not covered by the high-cost protection scheme, for example cough medicine.
  • There is no charge for preventive paediatric, maternity, prenatal and childbirth care or abortions.
  • Dental treatment provided by the Swedish Public Dental Service (Folktandvården) costs a maximum of SEK 50. A repeat appointment with a dentist costs a maximum of SEK 50.
  • Fees for living aids vary between the county councils and regions.

If you need patient transport within your county council area, this will cost you a maximum of SEK 40. If you choose to travel to another county council area, you have to pay the full cost of the journey. This applies to both children and adults.

There is an upper limit to how much you pay for prescription medicines. If, within six months, you have paid a certain amount for medical and dental care and prescription medicines, you can apply to the Migration Agency for an allowance for any expenses in excess of that amount.

If you have a communicable disease and require communicable disease care, this is provided free of charge.

Stockholms län

How much do asylum seekers pay for care in Stockholm County?

The government pays for most of your care. But you are responsible for a certain copay:

  • A medical appointment at a health centre or primary care clinic costs SEK 50.
  • Any other kind of healthcare appointment at a health centre or primary care clinic costs SEK 25. 
  • A medical appointment at a gynaecology clinic costs SEK 50, whether or not you have a referral.
  • An appointment with the Swedish or District Dental Service costs SEK 50.
  • A checkup is free of charge.

Other types of care usually cost the same as for people who are registered to live in Sweden

Fäll ihop

Free care for children and young people

Free care for children and young people

Care is normally provided free of charge for young people under the age of 18, but in many regions and county council areas you can still receive free treatment even if you are older than 18. All dental care is provided free of charge for young people under the age of 18.

Examples of free care and treatment include:

  • youth counselling centres
  • health centres
  • hospitals
  • the Swedish Public Dental Service.

You may have to pay for care or treatment at an emergency department or it may be free depending on the county council area or region you are in.

A child with a communicable disease who requires treatment will be treated free of charge.

Stockholms län

Vaccinations for children

If you have children who are 0-5 years old, it is especially important that you contact the Child Health Centre (BVC) as soon as possible, for the purpose of getting assistance with the child’s vaccinations.

Fäll ihop

Interpreter service

Interpreter service

If you do not understand Swedish, you are entitled to help from an interpreter when you go for medical or dental care. This is provided free of charge. If you need an interpreter, you or your representative must say so before your appointment. The interpreter can either be with you in person or interpret over the telephone.

It is the care staff who decide whether or not an interpreter is needed, and they will also choose the interpreter. If you have a speech impediment or are hard of hearing, your need for an interpreter will also be considered. It is better to use the care service’s interpreter than to bring along your own. If you prefer to use your own interpreter, the care service is not obliged to pay for the interpreter’s services.

Do you need an interpreter? Show this picture to the staff.

Patient confidentiality for interpreters and care staff

Medical care staff and interpreters are subject to patient confidentiality. This means that they are not allowed to pass on information about you to anyone else or a public authority without your consent.

Fäll ihop

Health check-ups are free for children and adults

Health check-ups are free for children and adults

All adults and children who are seeking asylum will be offered a free health check-up. The health check-up is performed as soon as possible after a person’s arrival in Sweden. If you are undocumented or in hiding, you will be offered a health check-up when you see a carer.

During the check-up you will see a nurse. The nurse will check your health, take samples to check whether or not you have any communicable diseases and will provide you with information about the health care system. This means that you will be able to get the care and treatment you need.

Fäll ihop

Dental care

Stockholms län

Dental care

If you are seeking asylum, please contact:

  • Your nerest dental service at Folktandvården,
  • Munhälsan i Vaxholm, or
  • Distriktstandvården in Järna, Salem, Nykvarn, Hallstavik och Rimbo.

    If you´re in hiding or undocumented, you can contact the nearest dental service at Folktandvården or a privat dentist that is connected to the Social Insurance Fund (Försäkringskassan).

    Emergency dental care

    Emergency dental care is available at Fleminggatan 48 in Kungsholmen 7 days a week until 8:30 pm. If you suffer a dental injury at night, dial 1177 for healthcare advice.

    Dental care for children and teenagers

    All children and teenagers who have applied for asylum are offered the chance to make an appointment at the nearest clinic within 4-5 weeks.

    Fäll ihop
    Skriv ut (ca 5 sidor)
    Senast uppdaterad:

    Editor: Ingemar Karlsson Gadea, Maud Cordenius, 1177 Vårdguiden


    Reviewer: Olle Olsson, case officer, Department for Health Care, Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions.


    Photographer: Juliana Wiklund

    Stockholms län
    Tillägg uppdaterade: