Examination of the esophagus and stomach by gastroscopyGastroskopi-andra språk - engelskaThe content concerns Västerbotten
You will have a gastroskopi, gastroscopy. This is an examination where the upper part of the stomach is checked. A soft tube is fed down to the stomach through the mouth. It is important that you prepare yourself beforehand so that the examination can be carried out.
You should contact us as soon as possible if any of the following apply to you:
You use one or more of the following medicines:
You should then call antikoagulationsmottagningen. You can reach us on 090-785 93 66.
If any of the following apply to you:
- You have a pacemaker
- You are taking plavix/Clopidogrel
- You are taking efient
- You are taking brilique.
- You are or think you are pregnant.
Should you contact endoskopienheten. You can reach us on 090-785 93 03.
Preparation for your examination
This is what you should do at home before the examination.
- 5 days before the examination, you must not use NSAID-type pain tablets. Among these are voltaren, ipren, treo and diklofenak.
- It is important that the stomach is completely empty. You are allowed to eat and drink up to 6 hours prior to your examination. After that, you must not eat or drink anything at all.
This is what occurs at the examination
- Before the examination commences, you will be given a medicine to reduce the amount of gas in the stomach.
- To protect your teeth and the tube, you will have a bite ring in your mouth.
- The stomach is filled with air. It may make you to burp during and after the examination.
- The physician takes samples during the examination if necessary.
If you prefer to have sedatives before the examination, please contact us at endoskopienheten. You can reach us on 090-785 93 93.
Remember that you are not allowed to drive for 24 hours after having received sedatives.