Rules and rights

If you are not satisfied with your care

Om du inte är nöjd med vården i Sörmland - engelskaThe content concerns Sörmland

Are you or a relative dissatisfied with health or dental care that you have received? If so, the patient advisory committee can help you. Your opinion can help prevent others from having the same experience.

If you are dissatisfied with the care you have received, you can contact either the concerned care provider or the patient advisory committee.

The patient advisory committee's role is to help you, as a patient or a relative, submit your opinions and complaints to health services and ensure that they respond. The health services' response should explain what happened as well as answer any questions.

The patient advisory committee's role also includes informing you about your rights within health care.

How does this work?

There is no fee for using the patient advisory committee. You can remain anonymous and we have a duty of confidentiality. Both adults and children can contact us.

The patient advisory committee reviews opinions and complaints about care provided by Region Sörmland, Folktandvården Sörmland or any of the municipalities in Sörmland. We also review opinions and complaints about care providers who have agreements with Region Sörmland or any of the municipalities in Sörmland.

There are several patient advisory committees in Sweden. Contact the patient advisory committee for the region in which you received the concerned care.

The patient advisory committee does not offer medical opinions or decide whether care services have acted improperly.

Submit opinions and complaints

You can contact us by signing in to or by phone, letter or email. Our employees speak Swedish and English. You can write to us by using the "Synpunkter och klagomål till patientnämnden" form. If you prefer, you can write in your native language. 

Please keep in mind that:

  • We can only answer general questions by email as we cannot guarantee your privacy when you contact us by this means. Please do not include any personal data in emails.
  • You do not need to submit any medical records.
  • If you are contacting us about a matter concerning a relative who is over 18, you also need to include a power of attorney in which the patient authorises you to represent them. Please use the ”Fullmakt för patientnämnden”

You can find the forms here:

Compensation for medical malpractice

If you have suffered an avoidable injury in your health or dental care, you may be entitled to compensation under Sweden's Patient Injury Act. Proceed as follows:

Health or dental care funded by the region or the municipality

  • If the injury was sustained in publicly funded health or dental care within the region, please contact Löf, the regions' mutual insurance company.
  • If the incident concerns municipal health care, please contact your municipality.

Private care

  • If the incident concerns dental treatment from a private dentist, please contact Privattandvårdsupplysningen.
  • If the care is not covered by the region's patient insurance, please contact the insurance company used by the concerned private care provider.
  • If the provider who administered the care or treatment is uninsured, please contact Patientförsäkringsföreningen.


Reporting irregularities in health and medical care to IVO

IVO, the Swedish Health and Social Care Inspectorate, ensures that the care you receive in Sweden is both safe and compliant with the applicable laws and regulations. As a private individual, you can inform IVO about irregularities in health services as well as social services.

If you have had a care experience that you would like to inform IVO about, you can either submit an anonymous tip to or file a formal complaint with IVO. In the first instance, you should contact the concerned care provider or the patient advisory committee. Those responsible must have been given the opportunity to respond to your complaint before you contact IVO.

IVO investigates, among other things, incidents that have resulted in you or your relative suffering permanent injury or a significantly increased need for care or in a death. IVO also investigates complaints concerning compulsory care and incidents that have had a serious and negative impact on a person's self-determination, privacy or legal status.

In order for IVO to investigate your complaint, you should submit it within two years of the concerned incident.

You can read more at or contact IVO's information service on 010-788 50 00.

To the top of the page