Flu is caused by viruses. The flu can result in fever, headaches and a sore throat.
You will have an easier time with the flu if you get vaccinated. Many avoid getting ill altogether. If you do get the flu, you will often feel less ill.
The flu vaccination has been around for a long time and is used all over the world. Therefore, the vaccine is safe.
Get vaccinated if you risk getting seriously ill
Most people can handle the flu well and do not need to get the vaccination. Some, however, can become seriously ill. For example, if they have a pre-existing condition. Therefore, they should get vaccinated every year.
Get vaccinated if any of the following applies to you:
- You are 65 or older.
- You are more than sixteen weeks pregnant.
- You have a heart condition. Heart failure, for example.
- You have a lung disease. COPD or severe asthma, for example.
- You have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- You have a disease or are receiving a treatment which significantly compromises your immune system.
- You have chronic kidney failure, making your kidneys function poorly.
- You have chronic liver failure, making your liver function poorly.
- You are obese.
- You have a neuromuscular disease that affects your breathing. A neuromuscular disease weakens the body's muscles and causes poorer function.
- You have multiple disabilities.
Ask your doctor if you are unsure
Do you have a disease, but are unsure whether you risk getting seriously ill from the flu? Ask your doctor.
Get vaccinated against the flu to protect someone else
In some cases you should get vaccinated to protect someone else.
In these cases, for example:
- You live with someone with a significantly compromised immune system.
- You are caring for someone with a significantly compromised immune system.
Get vaccinated at your health centre
Call your health centre if you want to get vaccinated.
You can get vaccinated starting on these dates:
- 3 November if you risk getting seriously ill from contracting the flu. In these cases the vaccination is free.
It can take up to two weeks before the vaccination takes full effect.
Get vaccinated every year
Get vaccinated every year to protect yourself against the flu. The vaccination is only good for one year. The viruses causing influenza changes and can look completely different next year. Meaning that the previous vaccination will not help. That is why you need to get the vaccine each year. Otherwise, you are not protected from the flu.