Seek healthcare

Healthcare for visitors from other countries

Vård av personer från andra länder - engelska - engelskaThe content concerns Skåne

If you come from another country and become ill during a temporary visit to Sweden, you are always entitled to receive essential healthcare. This could involve emergency healthcare, or healthcare that cannot wait until you return home. For example, you might break a leg and need to have it set in plaster, or you might require dialysis treatment.

Agreements with other countries

If you come from a country other than Switzerland or an EU or EEA country, you must pay the entire cost yourself if you need medical care in Sweden. This applies to both essential and planned medical care.

However, Sweden has medical care agreements (or "conventions") with certain countries. This means that temporary visitors from Australia, Algeria, Chile, Israel, Turkey and the Canadian state of Quebec can receive healthcare in Sweden under certain circumstances, such as maternity care. To find out what applies for visitors who are insured in these countries, contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency on 0771-524 524.

To the top of the page