When you fall ill

How to seek healthcare

Så söker du vård - engelskaThe content concerns Jönköpings län

Everyone who lives in Sweden has the right to get healthcare when they need it. In this article you can find information about where to turn when you or someone you know fall ill.

En skadad person som ligger under ett träd med en stege. En ambulans och en rådgivningssjuksköterska. En skadad person med en trasig cykel och en hand som ringer på sin mobiltelefon. Illustration, kollage.


Good healthcare advice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Often, some good advice from a professional is all that is needed.

1177.se has information about what you can do yourself to help you feel better and speed up your recovery. By calling the number 1177, you will get advice from a nurse about what you can do, and where to go if you need care. The number works nationwide, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round and the call costs like a regular call.

In case of emergency call 112 if you or someone else needs immediate care.


Save 1177.se as a bookmark in your browser and 1177 as a contact on your phone.

Healthcare centre

Your first choice for minor injuries and illnesses

Turn to the healthcare centre (vårdcentralen) if you are feeling unwell. The healthcare centre is the first place you go to if you need medical attention.

You will get help if you have hurt yourself or if you are feeling sick. The healthcare centre staff are experienced and have good knowledge of most injuries and illnesses. If necessary, you will be referred to a hospital. 

When the healthcare centre is closed, you can access three evening and weekend on-call centres in the county by calling 1177.

Accident and Emergency

Care in lifethreatening situations

If you are seriously ill or have been gravely injured, you can seek help at an accident and emergency department (akutmottagning). Patients in the greatest need of care are always treated first. There is an accident and emergency department at every hospital in Jönköping county. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call for an ambulance by dialling 112 if you or someone else needs immediate emergency care.

Dental care

If you need dental care you need to contact a dental clinic (Tandläkarmottagning). It is good to know that general dental care in Sweden is not covered in the same way as other medical treatments. You can read more about how it works and where to find a clinic here.

Student healthcare

The Student Healthcare is open for all students at Jönköping University. Here you can meet a counsellor if you need someone to talk to. Read more about The Student Healthcare at Jönköping University’s webpage.

Youth Guidance Centre

The Youth guidance centre (ungdomsmottagning) is for everyone aged between 13 - 21 years. Here you can talk to a counselor or a midwife, ask questions about your body, birth control, sex, relationships, alcohol or drugs. You can also take a pregnancy test or be tested for sexually transmitted diseases. Everyone who works at the centre is subject to confidentiality, no one will no about your visit. You can read more about the centre The Youth guidance centres at youmo.se

Find your closest Youth guidance centre in Jönköping County.

To the top of the page